Friday, July 13, 2012

Rain and Rambling



I've been sitting here at my computer for over two blessed hours almost totally uninterrupted.  What a wonderful thing!  The rain has been raining for that long, too.  I can not tell you how happy I am about that rain.  Last night when it was on its way here, I just sat out on the deck and thanked the Lord for sending it.


I've been expecting it for quite a while. 

Every time I've driven past the corn for that past few weeks, I'm asking and praying.  Every time I've driven past the sad old horses just standing there in a brown field of stubble, I'm asking and praying.  I would have done a dance for it if I thought it would help.  Things have gotten pretty desperate around here.  Not to mention all the chickens who can barely get their beaks into the dirt because it's so hard.  And all the chicken bombs built up all over the front sidewalk that should have been washed away weeks ago by the rain.  And my sad old garden, baked by the furnace-like weather.  And my sad old water bill, which hasn't come yet.  Oh my.

But alas, the rain is here and I am so relieved!

It's no wonder there's so many references in Scripture to the rain.  And the presence of the Lord coming like the rain.  And times of refreshing in His presence.


"Oh, that we might know the LORD! Let us press on to know him. He will respond to us as surely as the arrival of dawn or the coming of rains..."   Hosea 6:3

I just love that!

All this drought has felt, to me, like a picture of the absence of the Presence of the Lord.  And just like my natural mind acknowledges all the dying plants and thirsty animals and asks for physical rain to fix the problem, my Spirit has been asking, too.  So this rainy day feels, in a way, like the beginning of the answer to my cry.  My "pressing on to know Him."  Because just like that verse says, He will respond to us.  If we knew Him, we'd know that.  We'd know that he will respond to us as surely as the arrival of the dawn!  That's a pretty sure thing.

Oh, that we might know the LORD!

Let us press on to know Him.

He will respond to us.  He will.

It's a sure thing!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!