Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Decorating Emergency

 I'm desperate here.  I seriously need help.  Your help.  What I'm about to show you may shock and disturb you.  It's pretty terrible, I'm warning you.

First off, you must know that I love my house here in Kentucky.  I love my land and woods and porch swings.  I love my back porch and front porch.  I even like my mud room.  The problem is my kitchen.

It's actually my fault.   I ASKED God for a house with bad decorating.

Yep, it's true.  That way we could afford a house with land that was BIG enough for all of us.  So, He gave me exactly what I asked for!  And almost every single room was wallpapered.  I can handle stripping wallpaper.  We already did five rooms.  Only five to go.  But the kitchen is another story...

We bought the house about six months ago, and I am still in a quandary about what to do with this brick-like surface.  The house is only 16 years old, but I guess the people who built it were fond of the 70's.  So they dug up this weird brick paneling and put it all over the perfectly good walls.  I didn't even know they still made the stuff.  Anyways, it's pretty darn attached, so ripping it off isn't really an option right now.  The problem is that I am at a loss.  That's where YOU come in....

Take a look:
This looks like a serious father-son conversation.

See? That stuff is everywhere!


Should I paint this brick?  What color?  Ruthie's worried that it will look like a public bathroom if we paint it.  We don't like it now, but we're afraid of making it worse...if that's possible!


This is what it looked like before we bought the house.  In all it's "staged" glory.

I think it's homey. And a little homely.
Note the mismatched cabinet handles.
The striped apple wallpaper is long gone now.  
But the paneling is alive and well.

I think the girls were doing a cooking show or something here. ??

So, what's it gonna be?  Are you content to watch me suffer like this????
Help a sister out!

Paint?  Spackle?  Colors?  C'mon now, I know you've got it in ya. 




5 comments:

  1. Have you tried removing it? Maybe just try a small section. Then drywall... Not too expensive, but takes a little practice. Under the cabinets... Rip it OUT! Drywall... Then ceramic tile. Ive seen some really good deals on tile lately.

    If you try n paint the brick, it will be very time consuming, and in the end you still have brick... Or should I say "faux" brick.

    :) Big Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so totally agree, but....I'm going to have to wait til summer for that project. Can't do major renovation during school or I forget that I even have a school and it comes apart at the seams. I guess I'm just impatient and want it gone, NOW! Love the idea of ceramic tile...I can handle that! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple more ideas... The paint section in Lowes has products for faux finish techniques. Im thinkin of venetian plaster. It kinda goes along with that tuscan look. Im wondering if you could use the type of plaster they use on the old plaster and lathe walls to fill in the bricks. It comes in a big bag. Then maybe a rougher faux finish technique so that way it wouldnt be necessary to get it perfectly smooth.

      Delete
    2. Now we're talkin! That's exactly what I've been thinking. Kindof like my favorite Italian restaurant...almost like stucco, right?

      Delete
    3. Yeah, it's kindof dorky to reply to my own comment, BUT...Thank you so much for your ideas!!! I've been looking into the whole Tuscan theme. Never really thought about it before. Now I'm totally inspired! YAY!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!