Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Homemade Taco Mix


Homemade mixes are one of my favorite cooking tips-- they not only save money, but also the annoyance of not having what you need on the spur of the moment.  You know, like at 4:30, when you're trying to decide what to make for dinner at 5:00?


Well, here's one of my old standby mixes that I use at least once-a-week.  It's called Fahita Mix, but I use it for tacos, burritos and basically anything Mexican-ish.  It's really simple and I usually mix it up in a triple batch and store it in an old peanut butter jar with all my spices.

Taco/Fajita Mix

3 T cornstarch
2 T chili powder
1 T salt
1 T paprika
1 T sugar
1 1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/4 t red pepper flakes
1/2 t cumin
2 1/2 t chicken bouillon powder


Mix everything up and store in an airtight container.  This recipe equals three normal packets.

And as a bonus, here's what you're missing...

*I usually triple it and use 7 bouillon cubes.  Smash them in a plastic baggy.
*I buy spices like garlic, chili powder and cumin at Sam's Club.  They are soooo much cheaper.
*If you haven't ever tried cumin, well, try it.  It's good stuff.
*Of course, if you don't happen to have all this stuff, that's OK.  I've made it lots of different   variations.
*The heat comes from cayenne and pepper flakes. Adjust to suit your taste.
*Beef bouillon would work fine, too.
*You don't really need the cornstarch.  That just makes it like the packets from the store... kindof
thickens up the sauce a bit.

OK, well, there ya go.  Looks like Taco Tuesday!  Whattaya think?

1 comment:

  1. I love cumin, but really have only used it in white chili. I will certainly be giving this a try, though. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!