Monday, July 30, 2012

Boiled Peanuts and Neck Bones

boiled-peanuts-1.jpg
You know how I told you guys that I can see what google searches brought you to me?  Well, here's a reoccurring search.  And it really kills me to be so unhelpful and lead you down the wrong path by saying that I have no clue how to boil peanuts and neck bones and then you search how to do it and it comes to MY blog.  So, I'm gonna tell you how to do it.
But keep in mind, I'm clueless.  I used to live in Florida and Southern Alabama, where these sorts of food are considered as normal as PB&J.  All along the highway there's stands selling boiled peanuts.  And peaches.  Which I adore.  But I'm not big on the peanuts.  And as a side note, the raw peanuts are called "goober peas," and they taste more like beans than the roasted peanuts that we're used to.   In this recipe they're called green.  I have no idea where you'd get them unless you lived in the South.  In that case, they're everywhere.

OK, here it is.  Have fun!

boiled-peanuts-2.jpgBoiled Peanuts Recipe

  • Prep time: 5 minutes
  • Cook time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Ingredients

  • 1 pound of raw "green" peanuts (not the color green, but fresh raw peanuts which are called green peanuts)
  • 1/4 cup kosher salt (or 2 Tbsp table salt)
  • 4 cups water
Optional seasoning
  • 2 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning, smoked paprika, shrimp boil mix, or even star anise

Method

1 Thoroughly rinse raw unshelled peanuts in water.

2 Put water, salt, seasoning, peanuts in a large stockpot. Bring to a low boil. Cover and reduce the heat just enough to maintain a low boil. Boil for 2 to 3 hours or longer (some boil their peanuts all day), until peanuts reach desired level of softness.

3 Drain. Eat up within a couple of days. Boiled peanuts don't save as well as dry.
 Here's the real link.



And here's the low-down on the neckbones...  Although the neckbones that our friends made for us in southern Alabama were just ox neckbones boiled in water with nothin' else.  They told us that some people like to boil them and then grill them with BBQ sauce.  I think that probably would have been better.  Either way, there's not much to eat on there and I don't really think it's worth the trouble.  But that's just me...I was raised a Yankee, so I don't have much credibility in this area.  I can make a mean beef stew, though!


SOUTHERN NECKBONES

10 lbs. fresh pork neck bones
3 qts. water
4 beef or chicken bouillon cubes
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
Wash neck bones and place all ingredients in large pot. Cook until tender and meat is nearly off bone. Use low flame for cooking. This makes its own gravy.

There ya go!  I'm glad to help.  : )
And if I ever have any green peanuts or neck bones lying around... now I'll know just what to to with 'em.

1 comment:

  1. Peanut contains high nutritious and healthy boiled Peanuts are lot of benefits and delicious. Giving you easy and simple Peanuts recipe recipe.



    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!