Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Motherhood Conundrum

Do you ever get that nagging feeling that you were made for more than this?

Like, Yes, I know that all this Mommy stuff is super important and all, but isn't there something else I should be doing?

And I know that growing food, cooking food and cleaning up after the food is important and all but it feels so temporary.

And raising all these children is so meaningful and eternal and close to God's heart, but...



Don't you ever just want to do one thing more?

One other thing.

I sure do.

I sure get tired of hearing sermon after sermon about the importance of "stepping into your calling" and not having a single clue about how to do that, exactly.  Or if I ever will.

And wondering why I've got all these "talents" that I don't have a clue how to "use."  And being quite honestly concerned about hearing, "Not well done, you wicked servant, you buried those talents.  The least you could have done is made some return on them!"

Do you ever feel that way?

It's creepy.  And frustrating.

It's probably not God, either.

Because, "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it."

Because, "The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever--." Psalm 138:8


Here's another translation of that verse: "The LORD will work out his plans for my life--for your faithful love, O LORD, endures forever. Don't abandon me, for you made me."

Isn't that a great promise?  That's what I'm sayin'!

"You're gonna work this thing out in your own good time.  You put the treasure in there, and you'll make something of it when it's time.  You're faithful, even when I'm not.   That's why I can trust you with my life. You will not abandon me, if not for the sole fact that you made me.  I will trust You." 

 Motherhood is the lowliest profession in this country.  By choosing to serve your family day in and day out, you are laying down your own plans and aspirations.  Your ability to "make something of yourself."  You are making an eternal sacrifice.  That is no small thing.  It does not go unnoticed by the God who made you.  What He decides to do with it is up to Him.

Love you,
jen






2 comments:

  1. That was SO ENCOURAGING, friend!

    Thank you, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a high calling that many people don't do well. I am proud of how my children turned out. Not because of the professions, but because they are kind, loving, non-racist, tolerant, giving, intelligent people who want good for others. Was i a perfect mother ? Goodness no, but I did my best and loved my kids and spent time with them. I know I also get that "other calling" feeling also, especially since my 4 are now all graduated from college and out of the house. But i know what I did as a mom was important and when it is time, the "other" will reveal itself. Mr Rogers (remember him?) once said something about realizing how you touch so many peoples lives every day and to be mindful of how you leave them. I'm sure your talents are in use everyday with your family and those who you may cross paths.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!