Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tip Tuesday: 2 o'clock

Wow.  Thanks for the tip. 2:00.  Epic, right??

About a year ago we came up with this idea and it's been a real life saver.


 I know, 2:00 has been around for a very long time.  I just figured out what to do at 2:00.

 Back in the baby days, that was nap time.  I got peace and quiet and a chance to think.  I could do chores or read a book or take a nap... undisturbed.  But then some of my kids grew out of naps.  Then what???  I was always hushing them and trying to let the babies and toddlers sleep.  Well, these days EVERYBODY in our house must be absolutely quiet for one hour, starting at 2 o'clock.  They've all gotten so used to it that they usually call out, "Two O'clock!"  and that means go to your bed and read/sleep.  No talking.  No getting a drink.  No going to the bathroom.  For ONE blessed hour!!!

Even the teenagers cooperate.  I think they really enjoy it, actually.  Sometimes they use that time to take a hard test that requires total concentration.  Sometimes they sit out on the porch swing and read.  In the winter they just read in their beds.  Sometimes they take a snooze.  They know that I won't call them for anything, so it's really their own time to not be disturbed, also.

And I get to do whatever I want.  I get the whole downstairs all to myself.  I can clean the kitchen or follow a recipe without distraction, pay bills, check emails, write a blog, eat a cookie.... you get the idea.

It really only took a few days to get this routine going, believe it or not.  I think it's amazing.

Yay! for two o'clock!

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!