Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Cooking Beans For Later


So, I was having another one of those exciting homemaker-type conversations the other day... discussing the best and cheapest way to eat beans.  Everybody knows that they're a cheap and good-for-you and everything.  The problem is that canned beans are overpriced and you've got to plan waaaay ahead in order to cook dry beans for dinner.  Since I'm more of a thirty minute style cook, that just won't do.


 We were discussing the possibility of cooking them and then canning them into serving size jars.  That would be convenient, all right.  But I decided that I'm waaaay too lazy for that.

So, here's what I do....




Ta-dah!



I cook a ginormous pot, usually two pots full of two different kinds of beans.  I just do the quick soak method directions on the bag.

Drain them.  Let them cool.  Bag them up.  Freeze.  Easy.



They defrost perfectly in the microwave, or can be added frozen to chili or other long cooking soups.

They're good for your heart.
That's what they say.
So there's my tip.
Have a nice day.

1 comment:

  1. What a GREAT tip,
    I must say.
    I will do this for sure!
    And will not defer.

    Alright, so my poetry is awful. But your bean tip is amazing! Soooo doing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!