Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lazy Man's Cabbage Rolls

By special request from a dear friend, I am going to attempt to tell you how I make this cheap and kid-pleasing supper.  It tastes like the old-fashioned pigs in the blanket that my mom used to make (I just discovered that they are actually called "galuskis" or "galumpkies"). My great grandma was from Czechoslovakia.  But that's sortof beside the point.

First I must warn you that I AM an artist.  Cooking is sortof improv for me, even though I usually start out with a recipe.  That way, if I don't have exactly the right ingredients, it's no big deal...usually something different and better results.  That's the case with this recipe.

Also, I have no pictures. I have my reasons...

1. I'm busy cooking.  I don't have the mental capacity to cook AND take good pictures.  The fact that several people are talking to me at the same time, and someone is usually playing drums or some other loud music and well, you get the idea.
2. My kitchen is dark.  It is evening when I make dinner, so there's no sunshine.  Boo. 
3. This is not a very attractive meal.  It looks like slop.  So, just use your imagination.
4. Most importantly....I'm pretty sure you can handle it without pictures.  You're smart and know how to chop things and brown meat and pour it in a pan.  That's my main reason.  : )

Here's a picture of a winking babushka, instead.  She's pretty cute.



So, here's the recipe:



Lazy Man's Cabbage Roll Casserole

1 - 1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 finely diced onion
3 cups of rice 
one head of cabbage
2 cans of tomato sauce
1 can of tomato soup
2+ cups of water (rinse out the cans)

salt
pepper

  Brown and drain the meat and onions. (I do this ahead of time and freeze the meat mixture)
meanwhile:
Cook about 3 cups of rice in 6 cups of water for only about 10 min. (not quite done)
Chop up cabbage into inch size squares, without core.
Mix the whole mess together with the tomato sauce, soup and water in a BIG bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.  It should be sortof soupy, not dry.  Add more water if needed.
Pour into a greased casserole dish.  I use a 11x15 roaster.  You could use two 9x13 pans and freeze one.
Bake covered @350 for one hour.  Stir and add more water if needed.  Cook about 30 min. longer until cabbage is very tender.

notes:
If you pre-cook the cabbage, it only takes 30 min. to bake.  But I never do.
You can use half salsa instead of tomato sauce.  Or all tomato soup.  Whatever you've got, really.
We serve this with mashed potatoes and corn.  It reminds me of my mom's cooking.  But I already told you that.
It makes a TON!  Serves at least 10 with leftovers.

p.s.
I looked for a picture of this on the internet, but couldn't even find one.  Once you make it, you'll see why.  It's ugly.  But it tastes good.  : )

I hope I got that right.  Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!