Friday, June 8, 2012

The Weight of Words

 
When giving directions to a house here in Kentucky, we often say something like, "Pass the third liquor store and turn at the tobacco warehouse."  Sounds just great, doesn't it?  Of course there's plenty of horse and cow farms and other beautiful things along the way, but we usually mention the stores, for some reason.  Well, that might all be about to change.  Thanks to me.  And my words.


The Tobacco Warehouse went out of business.  I didn't cause that.  At least I hope not.  But here's what happened...  Once I saw that it was gone, I started to tell it to become a produce stand.  Every time I drove by I would say something like, "And this is going to be a produce stand.  Won't that be nice."

Guess what!  It just became a produce stand!

We all stopped in to meet the new owner yesterday and buy some produce.  She's super sweet with her two sweet little kids.  Trying to make it nice and make it work.  It's just a tiny little produce stand, but I'm gonna keep on blessing it every time I drive by.  Because words are powerful.

Here's another example:  When I was thirteen, I wanted a certain horse that my school bus drove past every day.  My dad was reading a book about the power of positive thinking.  I decided to try out his new theory.  Every day I said, "There's my horse."  Now, my parents had already told me that I could get a horse and I already cleared a gigantic field full of thorn bushes by myself all summer long, because that was part of the deal.  But the horse was NOT for sale.  Until... one day there was a sign in the front yard, "Horse for Sale."  I rushed home to tell my parents, who told me that I misread it and that it probably said "House for Sale."  I double checked the next day.  Sure enough.  Horse!  And we went to see her, and I rode her and loved her and she became MY horse.

Words are powerful!


So, what have YOU been saying lately?
To yourself.  Your children.  Your husband.  Your financial situation.  Your health. Your you-name-it.
Have you been blessing or cursing?

Now, I'm sure not saying that you can name it and claim it and that's all there is to it.  Duh.  That definitely does not work.  I've tried it.  Trust me.  God is not Santa Clause.  On the other hand, though....
Words ARE Powerful!

I really believe that we can bless or curse our own lives and not even realize it.  We can cause growth or wilting.  Joy or Bickering.  Fatness or skinniness.  That's a weird example, but it's true!  And telling our kids that they are smart and creative and funny actually WORKS in them smartness and creativity and humor.  What about that happy praise song, "I Am a Friend of God?"  How does it affect you to sing it.  There's a newer song out with the lyric, "Tell me, once again, who I am to You."  It's all true stuff.  God can see it in us like hidden treasure.  He can see all the junk, too, but He doesn't really need to point that out because it's already obvious to us.  It's the hidden treasure that He speaks to.  The things that have not yet become visible.  It's our job as parents to see it in our family and SAY it out loud.  Have you ever heard that old expression, "It takes a master carpenter to build a barn, but any old jack-ass can kick it down."  That's a lot like what we do with our words.  Build or tear down.  It's harder to build.  But better.  Skillful, edifying words are a big part of it.


I just told you about the produce stand and the horse to give you a tangible example of what I think happens in the invisible all the time.  And I'd like to encourage you to try it.  Over time you will see the change you are speaking to.  After all, Jesus said, "Say to this mountain..."

Love ya,
jen





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!