Friday, June 1, 2012

The Thrift Trap


So, I've been thinking a lot about thrift lately.  And money.  And things related to it.  And trying to get my philosophy straight in my head. This post is gonna be a little different, but it's just me working things out.  And I'd really like to hear from you guys on this topic, too.  It's constantly in our lives, so I think it's worth hashing out.

Here's some background...


I am a tightwad.  Born of tightwad parents.  Born of Great Depression Era parents.  And I don't know what was before that.  But that's enough for me to know that I'm pretty set in my ways.  I think my parents would rather kill a kitten than see wasted food on a plate.  If that gives you any idea.

My husband, on the other hand, is a spendthrift.  That is the opposite of a tightwad.  Although he's coming around,  he's still a little embarrassed by my dumpster diving expeditions and the fact that my favorite shoes are from Goodwill.  It's almost like paying more for something means it must be better.  Or that he's a better provider. That's the spendthrift mentality.

But, God, in his infinite smartness, put us together.  And gave us a bunch of children.  Needless to say, we have plenty of "discussions" about thrift.  He calls me "cheapskate."  I call him "dear husband."  Yeah, you can see that happening, right?

Moving on...

So, let's define thrift.

Thrift:  The quality of using money and other resources carefully and not wastefully.

That sounds good to me.  Turn the lights off when you leave the room.  Turn the water off while you're brushing your teeth.  Don't play in your good clothes.  Hang out the laundry.  Finish your meal.  Shop around for a bargain.

Ahh, that's the one that gets us.

It's the Thrift Trap!

Thrift trap:  The compulsive urge to check out thrift stores or clearance racks, looking for bargains, and spend money on stuff that you don't really need in the first place, just because it's "a good deal." 

Have you ever heard of the expression, "Going broke saving money?"  That happens when you buy stuff you don't need just because it's cheap.

Like a lava lamp.
Unless you desperately need one.
As a gift for a graduate, or something random like that.
In that case, it is thrifty to buy it.
Because lava lamps are super cool and this particular graduate really wants one.
Not just buying it because it's cheap.

Or buying fancy high heels on sale because you need them for a wedding that's coming up.
Not just because they are super cute and cheap.
And they'll just sit in your closet for a few years taking up space.
And eventually go back to Goodwill.
Where some other thrifty person will fall for them.
And, I'm speaking from experience here.
You get the idea.

OK, so, here's the problem as I see it:

Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income.  This too is meaningless.  Ecc. 5:10

The problem that I see here is loving money.  Loving wealth.  Loving shoes.  Or tea cups.  Or lava lamps.  Or just loving buying stuff.  Rather than needing these things.  That's what gets us into trouble.  God knows what we need and He is more than capable of providing for us.  And often cheaply.  But if we love things, we'll never have things enough.  It's a real trap.  And thrifting won't fix the problem.  That's just buying cheap things, instead of expensive things.  But it's still things.  Which equate to money.  That is not being used carefully, as in the definition of thrift.  And then we need more storage containers to hold all the stuff.  And eventually a bigger house...  It's a trap!

We're all pretty familiar with Jesus' teachings about the birds and the lilies.  You know, don't worry about food or clothes... the pagans run after these things.  Your Father in heaven knows you need them.  Seek first the kingdom, etc.  Good stuff!

Here's a few more for thought:

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you;  never will I forsake you."  Heb. 13:5

But godliness with contentment is great gain.  1 Tim 6:6

But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.  1 Tim 6:8


So, what do you think?

Sorry to seem preachy.  I just use this morning blog time as my own Bible study, sometimes.   I'd really like to hear your perspective.  I know we're all trying to make ends meet and it takes a lot of creativity sometimes to make it work.  Thrifting is a great resource and a way that God often provides for our family, so I hope you don't think I'm against it.  Definitely not.  Just gotta keep things in perspective.  And from what I can tell, contentment is something that will make us much happier in the long run.

What's your opinion?  Are you a tightwad?  A spendthrift?  Do you buy things that you don't need?  Why?

Oh, and for my friends who are having trouble leaving comments here on the blog... just shoot me and email and I'll post it for you.  (vaughns4jesus@yahoo.com)

Thanks!  I look forward to hearing from you!

--jen



7 comments:

  1. Well, for me, I almost see it as sinful to spend $X for something that I might've found for 1/2 that if I'd been willing to put the effort into looking. HOWEVER, I have been reprimanded by my husband before for perpetuating a poverty mentality. All I know is that it sure is easier when you have a little extra money than when you don't. As the Bible says, "Money answers all things."

    I guess, as in all things, balance is the key, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Sometimes it feels better to keep a ten in your pocket and NOT spend it... just knowing that you can if you really want to. It's definitely nice to have a little extra money!

      Delete
    2. I LOVE to go to thrift stores..still...most of the clothes in my closet are from goodwill or salvation army. I feel guilty GUILTY big time spending more than 20.00 on myself..its crazy..BUT i do not have a problem spending money on my kids or my hubby..so what does that tell you?? maybe I need some psychotherapy..or maybe its just my way of saving the family some money..
      -ruthie

      Delete
    3. OMGosh, me too! I contemplate taking if back and drive myself crazy if it's expensive, even if it's exactly what I wanted. But if it was a killer deal I feel sortof victorious! And a lot less guilty. Crazy, right? : )

      Delete
  2. I think I sometimes buy some random cheap thing just to make myself feel better, because it's such a bummer not being able to buy what I really want or need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. retail therapy. It's the same thing as eating when you're not really hungry.

      Delete
  3. My husband and I are both savers. During our marriage, we have lived both dirt poor and quite wealthy. In both cases we rarely ate out, and never shopped. We firmly believe that the gifts we are given are to be used wisely and for the benefit of helping others, not ourselves. We certainly don't like parting with our money for "things". Although, we do splurge on vacations and adventures. We do love a road trip. Basically, when we die, our children will say, "They had that much money???" And I will smile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!