Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Folding Shirts Military Style


Hi guys!  Today's tip comes to you courtesy of my wonderful husband and his amazing Army experience.  As you probably already know, the military has been a very big part of our lives.  The Captain and I have been together since way before he was a Captain.  We've been through Officer Candidate School and Flight School and Helicopter Test Pilot School and a bunch of other schools and trainings and drills.  And it's been an adventure, to say the least.  He's learned a lot.  And I've tagged along with various babies.  But one thing I did learn that has actually been beneficial to me has been the military version of laundry folding.  It's different from the way my mom did it.
(If you already knew this, I apologize for being so un-helpful today.  I'll try harder next week.)


Anyways... Since these guys have to pile all their stuff into a big ol' ruck sack and throw that thing around and still look "squared away" when they put their uniforms on, they figured out how to fold stuff better than the average house wife.  (There must have been a girl around there somewhere who gets the credit!)

So, here's the inside scoop...

  Start out just like normal.  I'm sure this part you could do in your sleep.  Blindfolded!


Here's where it's different.   After you fold the shirt in half (the normal way) just keep going and fold it over one more time. 


Then it's nice and smooth.  And neat.  Like this...

See the difference?  The shirts on the right get all wrinkled up in drawers, especially when you try to pull one out from the bottom of the stack.  The military version stays very unwrinkled, even when you move them around.  And they fit in drawers much better, too.

If there's words on the shirt, I usually try to make sure they are on the outside.  That way you don't need to unfold three different black shirts to find the one with the drum picture.  Or whatever.

So, yeah, there's my tip.

And I hope it helps.

And that I've solved your greatest conundrum.

And that laundry is now a joy and a blessing to your life.

And,

OK, I'm done.

Oh, and just in case you already knew this and you're thinking,"Duh, thanks for the tip.  Everybody already knows that" ... Here's another tip.

Ruthie thought this one up... Traveling Cupcakes

Cut a big marshmallow in half, put the cut side down on top of your iced cupcakes so that you can cover them and take them to a picnic. Especially if you're taking A-LOT...


We baked 83.  And tried out that third homemade cake mix recipe, which was the best one, by the way.  I'll tell you about it later.  Stay tuned.  : )





1 comment:

  1. The main thing I got out of this post was that your laundry room is incredibly tidy. That's so annoying! Just kidding...I'm just jealous, that's all.

    Oh and I think I have been folding shirts military-style all these years...without even realizing it. I am so cool!

    Oh and I want a cupcake. Or five.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!