Thursday, June 14, 2012

Cake Mix Mix



The other day Ruthie was telling me how much she misses having cake mixes in the pantry because she would frequently mix up a batch of "cake mix cookies" on a sweet-tooth whim.  They used to be really cheap, so we were always stocked up.  Not anymore.  Every time I go to buy a cake mix, my cheap skate self comes out and I put it back on the shelf and tell myself that we can just bake from scratch...alot cheaper.  Which is true.  But not quite as convenient.  Alas, my newest frugal adventure...


Homemade Cake Mix!


There's tons of different recipes online, so I had to try a few out before I told you guys about it.  Since this week is VBS, we're bakin' up a bunch of cupcakes for the big party.  A good reason to try out the mixes!

This first recipe is interesting because it is a total pantry food.  No fresh ingredients needed.  That's handy, for sure!  Measure the dry ingredients into a zip lock bag and label it.  You can make a label for what you need to add or just write it into your cookbook and try to remember where you put it.

Chocolate Cake Mix
3 C flour
2 C sugar
8 T cocoa
2 t baking soda
2 t salt

To make the cake, stir in:
2 C cold water
2 t vanilla
2 T vinegar
3/4 C oil

Stir just enough to completely mix.  That's it!  Use it just like normal cake batter... 350, etc.  This mix is bigger than a normal cake mix so it makes around 32 cupcakes (instead of 24) and the cake turns out nice and big-- like cakes used to be in the "olden" days.









Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
2 C flour
1 1/2 C sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 C non-fat dry milk

To make a standard cake mix recipe, add in:
3/4 C water
1 t vanilla
1/2 C butter, softened (or oil)
3 eggs

Combine and mix two minutes.
Greased/floured pans. 350, etc. Just like a box cake mix.

We made both of these today and they tasted just great.  We added sprinkles to the yellow cake to make a "funfetti" version.  I've got one more chocolate cake recipe left to try.  And also a gingerbread one.  I'll let you know how that goes....

Hope you're enjoying your summer!  





3 comments:

  1. I love this! I love it, love it, love it!!!

    Cannot wait to try it out!

    I am planning on doing a lot of homemade gifts for Christmas and I think I'll add this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you try to make cookies out of it yet? those are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!