Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A New Perspective



Just sitting here at my mac enjoying the windchimes outside.  I think winter might finally be on its way.  Hmmm.  I can deal with that.  As long as Christmas comes with it.
It IS the most wonderful time of the year, you know.  :)

Most years, at about this time, I start making lists like a crazy person.  What to bake, Where to shop, What to buy, etc... I scour sale ads and traverse from town to town searching out the deals.  It's all pretty stressful, and not very wonderful.

Not this year, though.



I've got such a different perspective this year.  I haven't bought one single thing yet and I almost haven't even thought about buying anything.  I am still so overwhelmed with a feeling of gratitude.  Grateful to finally be settled somewhere.  Grateful that my family is together and happy and healthy.  Grateful that the long season of wandering is over.  Grateful that God has turned toward us and shown us mercy.

For the past three years, we lived in a borrowed house at Christmas time.  We endured five complete household moves in a little over three years.  We weren't sure where we were going and didn't understand where we had been.  Losing vision.  That's what wandering feels like.  We had plenty of money, so we bought nice gifts.  But something major was still missing.  We were losing faith. We needed to feel settled.  We needed to feel like God hadn't forgotten about us.

As if He could forget!  "Can a mother forget her child?  And have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!  See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands." (Isaiah 49:15,16)  Wow!
Here's another promise we can cling to, "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you'."(Hebrews 13:5)

Christmas is an amazing season of remembering.  We remember where we've been with all of our traditions and celebrations.  We also remember that our Father in heaven sent His one and only Son to our planet to be with us.  He wants to be with us. And He made a way for us to be with Him.  That's a reason to celebrate!

This year we will be having our first Christmas in our new house.  It's gonna be a thrifty Christmas...I won't be buying as many presents, but I'm sure that it will be wonderful.

Perspective changes everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!