Monday, February 13, 2012

Making Weird Slimy Laundry Soap

Can't wait to wash something in this stuff...  ???


I mostly made this stuff out to curiosity.  I'm pretty happy with my cheap laundry detergent that smells good.  But since this is the trendy thing to do these days, I had to join the club.  I'm still not convinced.  But I do love saving money and this was SUPER easy to make.  It turns out a lot like Nickelodeon slime.  Or worse.  I'm still not sure how that happened.  It's a chemistry thing, I guess.

Anyways, here's how you make it, if you are curious like me:

Only three ingredients.  They're all in the laundry aisle at Wally World.
Grate the soap.  Make sure nobody walks by and eats it.

Cook and stir the soap in 4 cups of hot water until melted.
Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full with hot water.  Add melted soap.
Add in 1 cup of washing soda and 1/2 cup of borax.  Stir to dissolve.
Fill the bucket the rest of the way with hot water.  Stir.
Now cover it and let it sit overnight to thicken.  It will get extremely weird and everyone will want to touch it when you exclaim, "Oh Wow!  Look how weird this stuff is!"

Now you can stir it and put it in an old used laundry soap container.  Fill it half way and then fill the rest of the way with water.  Shake before each use.

It will make 10 gallons. The directions say to use 5/8 cup per load.  (Approx. 180 loads)  It costs about a penny per load.  I haven't washed anything with it yet.  It smells pretty normal.  I'll let you know how it works...

I'm off to do some laundry.


UPDATE:
It works!  Just as good as "regular" detergent!  But it does smell kindof weird.  It doesn't really make your clothes smell, though.  I'm sure a good smelling fabric softener would help.  : )





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!