Friday, February 3, 2012

Easy Homemade Noodles

We just got done making a big batch of homemade noodles.  Have you ever tried it?
I used to think it would be hard to do, but...


They're really, super easy.  And cheap.  And delicious.


Thanks to my Fannie Farmer Cookbook.


That's where I find most of my cheapest, best recipes.  As you can see, my copy has been taped back together multiple times. And written in.  And spilled on.

Here's what Fannie says about noodles:


 With my notes added on.  My version has a few changes.  I think it's a little easier.

2C white flour
2C whole wheat flour
2T salt
 ... mix that together in a big bowl, add:
4 eggs
3T cold water

Stir it all together with a fork, then knead a little til smooth.  If it's too dry, add a little water, but don't make it sticky.  Should be a little drier than play dough.  Separate dough into four balls. Let rest about 10 minutes.  Roll out each one with a little flour.  Let rest again.  Then cut them up with a pizza cutter however wide you want them.  Spread them out on the floury counter to dry out a little.  Meanwhile, get your salted water or broth boiling.  Just drop the noodles in by handfuls.  Stir a little and cook til done, anywhere from 20-40 minutes, depending on how fat you make them.  This is a double batch, of course.  We eat it all, but you could also freeze half.  If you're gonna make a huge mess anyways, you might as well make extra.

 Here's Fannie's pics.  I thought they were cute.
 


I've made them by hand like this for years.  It's quite a workout, especially if the dough is too dry.  These days I use my handy dandy noodle machine..."we're noodle folk" now. 






As Fannie says, "Fork one out and taste to determine doneness."  See why I love her?
She's like my grandma.  : )

Happy noodling,
jen



1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great cookbook. I love homemade noodles. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!