Saturday, February 25, 2012

Miss Motivated Returns

Well, it's been a while since I've posted anything very philosophical.

I'm gonna blame it on the Happy Light.


 It's true.

There I was in a full-blown winter depression, waxing eloquent on all that is wrong in the world, feeling pretty darn miserable, reading articles about SAD and believing every word....   and then it happened.

 I decided that enough was enough.
I plugged in my trusty Verilux "happy light" and sat there at my computer with that thing beaming in my face for an hour.   All it took was three mornings.  That's it.  The fourth day I was up by 4:30, wide awake.  For some very strange reason as I was walking through my bedroom later that morning, I decided that I had had enough of that world's ugliest wallpaper and I randomly started tearing it off.
See?  Pretty terrible.


Does this count as mania?  I hope not.  I didn't feel manic, just motivated.  
I really Missed that feeling.
 
So, needless to say, that was a pretty big project.  One that you can't just stop in the middle of.  By about 3:00 a few kids who were done with their school decided to join me in the thrilling process of spraying and sponging and peeling.  This was on Tuesday.  The wallpaper was very strippable which was a gift from God, in my opinion, and I was feeling so blessed because I got it all done before Captain got home.  I even made dinner.



Here's my inspiration... blue/gray/green walls
Next day, Wednesday, the kids wanted to go shop for the upcoming b-day, so I took them all out in the morning, got some paint, came home and started painting. 

I wasn't sure if I would like the color, but as the day went on and more and more kiddos popped their heads in to oooh and ahh, it was really growing on me.  Now I absolutely loooove it.


By now it's Thursday. Co-op day and Patie's birthday.  Got up, ground some wheat, baked muffins, baked a cake, got my stuff together for art and music classes, rushed out the door.  Noah brought in his mandolin to show the little kids in my class.
We played a few songs together.  You'd have thought he was a rock star by the look on their faces!


 Oh, and I got to sit out in the real sunshine for an hour.  That's even better than the Verilux.. ..





 Came home by four, wrapped presents, decorated cake, made tacos, had a party ...
with only 2 extra kids it makes 11..which is a decent size party  : )



...and then watched a movie with the birthday girl. 

OK, by now I'm starting to get just a little bit tired.  Just a little.










  
Friday, I got the bright idea that since I'd be painting the trim in my room, I might as well paint my bathroom while I'm at it.  I spent several hours spackling and even managed to give myself a refreshingly cold shower while holding a tub of spackle and a putty knife.  Yes, I was fully clothed.  Don't ask how I managed that, I'm still not sure.... One thing was for sure, though, the bathroom was avocado green and no one should ever paint a bathroom that color.

 
It's a nice color for an avocado or some guacamole, but not a bathroom.  So, now it is creamy off-white and I'm not depressed when I look in the mirror nearly as much.  On a somewhat side note, you can't just paint your bathroom any old color you know.  It's really gonna affect how you look in there.  Ignorance is bliss, in my opinion. 

So, yeah, I've been motivated.  And as if this were not enough... we spent Saturday looking at loft bed plans and wandering around Lowe's trying to decide on lights and mirrors and lumber.
I have to take pictures of everything before I can decide.  And I carry a little notebook. Graci was very patient.
 This stuff is just too dang expensive.  I can't bring myself to do it.  I think I'll be making my own framed mirrors instead.

 We'll be building the loft for Patie's b-day. 


 Here's what we're thinking about building.

  If it turns out OK, I'll show you a picture.



OK, now I think I'm done. 

It has been a good week.  I hope you don't mind my rambling.  My husband always used to call me "Miss Motivated."  Especially when he wanted me to just sit and talk with him.  I feel like all I've been doing is sitting this winter.  Almost like my body wanted to hibernate.  I'm not sure if it was the happy light or the fact that Spring is almost here or maybe somebody was praying for me this week...  whatever it was, it felt good.

 And now I'm worn out, and that feels good, too.

Does anybody else deal with this S.A.D?  I used to think it was bull, but now I totally believe it.  Have you ever tried light therapy?  I'm curious if it was just a fluke...What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I truly believe I also have SAD and had suffered for years before they gave it a name. Sunshine is definitely my cure, but this year I read about Vitamin D supplements and have been taking 2000iu daily and really think it has helped a lot. This is the first winter I haven't had any really bad can do anything days. Gray, rainy, don't want to leave the house days, but none of those sleep endless days. Glad to see you settling into the new house and really making it yours. And I'm sure the "capt" is glad to be much closer to home.Give him a hug from his cousin for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiff,
      Glad the vitamin D is helping. That's really tough when everybody just tells you to snap out of it but you can't. I take vit. D, too, when I think of it. Last winter the happy light didn't help at all, but this year life is much closer to happy so I think that's why it helped so much. I'm just soooo happy that Spring is close.
      It's nice to hear from you and I'll pass along the hug! ; )

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!