Saturday, January 28, 2012

College Update

OK, I'm not freaking out anymore.  I'm more of a low-level panic.  We've got all of our paperwork submitted.  Financial Aid forms.  Applications.  Scholarship Applications.  Essays.  Transcripts. Etc.  I even beat the deadlines, by the mercy of God.  Now we're going to go tour a few different campuses.  Oh man, the word campus looks terrible as a plural.  I should say, "a campus or two." Or "campi." ?? Anyways,  since Jacob is interested in video game design and simulation,
the choices of schools are limited.
We've always sortof thought that he would change his mind eventually.  We even had him talked into radiology for a while.  But to no avail.  He's loved the gaming industry ever since he got his first computer game when he was 7 or 8.   He's even been working on his own game for a few years.  That's what he's doing when he's staring off into space.  Either that or thinking how nice it would be to have some Doritos.  Hmmm.

We, as parents, are learning so much, too.  Learning how to see the passion in each of our kids.  Learning how to help them find their niche in life.  Learning how to not freak out.  Because it's so hard to let your big kids make decisions that you think are wrong.  And then let them live with the consequences.  And then be there to help even thought you told them so.  I don't think this feeling will ever go away.

That's one of the things that makes homeschooling so challenging.  I own it, too.  Even though I already finished my schooling and got my degree, it somehow feels like I'm doing it again.  And all the old stressful feelings come right back.  But this time I'm not in control.  I've got to hope that my students will succeed, and I can't do it for them.  And because I'm the source of their education,  it's a lot of pressure.  It's hard to let go after all these years of being in charge of it all. 

But I'm working on it.  Shoot, by the time Benjamin goes through all this...

Oh, man, I don't even want to think about THAT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!