Tuesday, January 10, 2012

College Is Upon Us!

O MY GOSH!  I was totally unprepared for this!


Yes, I remember saying that when I was in transition labor, too.

But this time involves thousands of dollars and my son's future success.

I'm not sure where the time has gone!  Seems like yesterday I was just embarking on the high school journey with him.  Now we're looking at college application deadlines.  Scholarships.  Financial Aid.  ACT scores.  My baby moving far away.  YIKES!  The really bad thing about it is that stressful things tend to bring out the ostrich in me.  I want to bury my head and ignore that it's actually happening.

Obviously, that's a bad idea.


I remember going through this whole confusing process myself, back in the old days.  I don't remember my guidance counselor being very helpful.  But somehow I managed to secure a scholarship.  I know I wrote a million essays.  And sent a million applications.  Well maybe just twenty.  It felt like a million.  I wasn't outstandingly smart and I'm sure I wasn't especially talented.  So, that gives me hope.  But not very much.  Jacob is definitely smarter than me.  But not as motivated.  Sometimes it's the early bird who gets the worm...Not the smartest bird.  Needless to say, we've got to kick this thing into high gear or we're not going to get any worms.  Or free money.  Yep, that's what we need.  MONEY.

I'm sure I'll get better at this whole process.  Hopefully.  But Jacob is the guinea pig.  Sorry, Jacob.  So, there's lots to do.  Thankfully, he's got an awesome transcript with lots of honors level classes.  Un-thankfully, colleges don't really care about a homeschool transcript.  That's really a shame, but it makes sense, too.  I don't grade on a curve.  I've been pretty tough on my high schoolers.  These grades are for reals.  But the ACT score is what really matters.  Gonna take that ridiculous test one- more- time.  Then, it is what it is.  He's done good.  But.  There's a lot of money resting on that score, so it's hard to say "good enough" until there's no more chances left.  This time Grace will be going, too.  She's a junior, so , see, I am getting a little better!

It's a lot to navigate.  After all these years of schooling in the happy security of our own home, now it's time to branch out.  The Real World.  Find the best schools.  Fill out a million forms.  Do our best.  And hope for the best. 

OK,  I know that was quite un-informational ranting.  I guess I'm just a little bit overwhelmed.  Hopefully I'll be a gushing source of helpful information in about ten years.  Let's see, I will possibly have sent seven kids to college by then, with only one more to go.
Wow!  It sure would be nice to hit the lottery in the meantime.

Hey! I survived potty training...
                       I'm sure we'll get through this.

: )
jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!