Friday, March 23, 2012

When It Rains It Pours

Do you ever have so many different things going on at the same time that you forget your phone number and neglect to buy soap and toilet paper?



I do.

Right now.


Yeah, I know, I'm seeking some theoretical simplicity in life.  That I live way out here in the country so that life will slow down, at least in some ways.  But it turns out that I've got to plant the garden and nurse the sick chickens AND run all over God's creation shopping and searching and planning with things like Science Fair and Prom and Graduation coming up.  I'm not complaining.  At least I think I'm not.  Just venting.  Right?

It turns out that life is extremely busy for people who live in the country.  And if your kids are going to have friends and go do stuff, it gets even busier.  I get up when it's still dark.  Go to bed way after dark.  Work all day.  And I still can't get it all done.  And I'm NOT a perfectionist, either.  I have so many different lists that I can't even keep them straight.  And half the time I forget to buy food, since I'm buying so many different other random things.

Kids don't seem to mind, though.  They are so great.  Captain, too.  They'll eat whatever I fix and not complain.  And lots of times they even fix the meals. Well, not Captain.  He does not cook.  But I love the way they all pitch in.  It's what a family is supposed to do.  When I tell them all that I'm getting a little overwhelmed, they just start helping.  And they help each other.  I can't remember the last time I picked out clothes for Benjamin.  He just comes downstairs ready to go, shoes tied and all.  I'm not exactly sure who helps him but I am sure that I appreciate it.  They are all especially helpful when they know the extra work is being created by something they want to do.  Like shop for a dress at the mall or get supplies for a project or go to a friend's house.  That's when all the chores get done better and they try to lift the burden a little.  I think that's so cool.  I'm not sure if "normal size" families do that too, but it is absolutely necessary for a big family.  That's how we roll. 

So, writing this out really helps me.  Even though I've spent 20 minutes doing it, I feel a lot better.  I'm already a total scatter-brain, but all this busy-ness makes it much worse.  And it really helps me to stop and regain my perspective.  Having a lot of stuff to do is good for us, as long there's breaks from time to time.  It helps us to work together.  And support each other.  And requires everybody to pitch in.  And that is a good thing.  And just think...  School will be over soon.  Jacob will graduate in May.  Summer break will get here eventually.  And we'll all be laying around on the deck sipping iced tea before we know it.

So this is just that final little sprint at the end of the race.

Well at least the end of this lap of the race.

I hope you have a great day!  And if you're feeling overwhelmed, ask your kids for help.  It's a good thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!