Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tip Tuesday: Red Or White Wheat?

 Have you ever wondered what the difference is?  I have.  So, I thought you might have, too.

I've been using both for several years now.  And I can tell you from experience that neither one is red or white.
They are both sort of brown.

Hard white and red wheat.
They are both good for you and delicious.
They both make excellent bread.
If you're intimidated about buying a giant bag of wheat because you're not sure which one to order, just pick one.  It doesn't really matter!

Now, both of the "wheats" in the picture are "hard" wheat.  I rarely buy the "soft white" wheat because I've heard that it doesn't store as well.  But really, that doesn't matter much because wheat stores forever, anyways.  Some people buy the soft white because it's most like white flour, for cakes and stuff.  I happen to really like the taste of wheat.  The more "wheaty" the better!  And if you like the wheat flavor, the hard red wheat is for you.  If your family isn't used to wheatiness, go for the white wheat.  Both turn out just about the same when they become flour.

 Most of the time I just mix the two because I can't really decide.


This is freshly milled flour.

If you've never tried it, you're missing out!

Big time.

If you don't want to buy your own mill, just ask around to find out who has one.  Get some freshly milled flour and bake something right away.... within hours if possible.

You will be amazed at the difference in flavor between this and the store bought whole wheat flour!

When whole wheat is ground up, all the lovely layers of the kernel are mixed together and the natural oils start to spoil the flour and turn the flavor rancid very quickly.  Also, all those awesome vitamins start to break down, too.  That's why grocery store flour isn't as good.  Not even CLOSE!  (Can you tell that I love my wheat??)

We bought our grain mill a few years ago with our tax return money.  Me, being such a cheap skate, found it extremely difficult to make such a big and unnecessary purchase. (Captain had to hit the "Buy" button for me)  But, Gosh! I'm soooooo glad we did it!


Oh, and I also bought a Bosch mixer that makes 6-8 loaves of bread at once.  I love that baby, too!

And here I am telling you all about my wonderful mill when I only meant to explain wheat colors.  Well, maybe you've been on the fence about the Nutrimill.  This is your friendly blogger telling you to go for it.  And get a bunch of big bags of whatever wheat you can find.  Red, white, whatever.  And grind it up.  And bake something.

You're gonna thank me.  : )


1 comment:

  1. YESSSSSS! I SO AGREE!!!! I also have a Nutrimill and Bosch mixer. Both are amazing! WELL worth the investment, for sure.

    And I agree that either wheat you pick, you'll love. I happen to always buy hard white because I can buy it freshly grown locally (and organically). It's the best ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!