Friday, February 1, 2013

Winter Morning Oatmeal



I've always been surprised when friends tell me that their kids "would never eat oatmeal!"  I can't even imagine that, really.  It's just one of those foods that my grandma and my mom considered a stand-by.  So, I don't even give it a second thought.  It's just so thrifty--and yummy.  If there's nothing else handy for breakfast.... oatmeal it is!


Yesterday morning my kids not only ate the oatmeal, but they also thanked me!  Can you believe that??!  Now, I think of oatmeal as a blank canvas, really.  It's the artist in me I guess.  We make it so many different ways....  chocolate, maple, apple cinnamon, the list goes on.  I think this version is probably everybody's favorite though.

Oatmeal Cookie Oatmeal
(sorry there's no exact measurements... this recipe is mainly for inspiration)

Makes around 6-7 hearty servings.

Put a few cups of water (you can just read the container at this point) in a medium size pot, sprinkle in salt and then toss in a handful of raisins and put the lid on.  Let the raisins get nice and plump while the water is heating up.  When it's just about simmering, pour in old fashioned oats (I just always guesstimate) and about 1/4 cup of coconut.  Cook and stir for a few minutes over medium heat, until it's simmering but not boiling and splashing.  Turn off the heat.  Add a few circles of molasses (I like that it adds extra iron), 1/4 cup brown sugar, about 1/4 cup of butter (just wait until you taste it!), a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg and you're all set.  At this point you can turn off the heat and just leave it there with the lid on until breakfast time or dish it up nice and steamy.  

*Even though I grew up putting milk on top, we rarely have milk around here, so that's how we came up with the butter idea.  But it is sooooo much better!


*Yes, I have 80's mauve and colonial blue duck canisters.  Try not to be jealous!  ; )


And that's how to get your kids to thank you for oatmeal.

You're welcome.  : )

♡♡






1 comment:

  1. WOW, I never thought to add such fun ingredients to oatmeal! (But I do ALWAYS add butter!) I love the coconut idea...definitely going to try that! And molasses...YUM!!

    My kids like oatmeal, too. Especially because we have an oat-roller and they get to roll their own oats for their bowl of oatmeal. For now, they think that's super fun!

    Thanks for the ideas!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!