Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanks for the Memories



Isn't it weird how the holidays bring up so many random memories?  I'm busy stirring the gravy, telling my kids about how Grandma makes hers.  Then the coleslaw reminds me of Nanny, who I greatly miss, and who had the corner on the coleslaw market.  The tradition that comes from my husband's side is the Stove Top stuffing... but I still make my mom's recipe, too.



The kids and I have somehow started the tradition of making popcorn balls on Thanksgiving.  I'm not quite sure what started it, probably something related to the Pilgrims and eating corn, but each year we reminisce about the year that they all fell apart.


This year we found a pretty good recipe,  just gotta be careful not to break a tooth on them.



Today we walked down the trail on the back of our property and practiced shooting a shot gun.  That's probably a tradition that I won't repeat.  Ouch!

  A few years ago we started playing games outside.  Just silly made-up games like wacky relay races that everyone can participate in.  There's lots of yelling and cheering, and I can usually whoop up on my husband pretty good as long as it's not a normal sport that requires hand-eye coordination.  ; )



When our kids were younger, they used to dress up as pilgrims or Indians, alternating who got to be what each year. They also liked to plan talent shows for when all the relatives got together at our house.  Each kid would practice a dance or song, or memorize something to recite.  They were always lighthearted and fun.  All the cousins would usually end up joining in on some impromptu dance choreography.  We always seem to bring those up each Thanksgiving.  Such sweet memories!





This year was a little different.  It was just us.  We don't live close to any relatives and we don't really know our new friends too well yet.  So we just set the table fancy, anyways.  Actually, Ruthie is in charge of that department, so we even had candles and fancy silverware.

We all worked together to make a giant feast.  The girls made their first homemade pies.


While we were eating, we made up a game where we went around the table and each person named something that they were thankful for.  The only rule was that you couldn't repeat anything.  We went around at least ten times before we quit.  The person who repeated was supposed to have to pick the turkey, but I figured that a four year old might not be qualified, so I ended up doing it.  I didn't really mind, though.  I was just glad that everyone was pitching in to clean up my disastrous kitchen.



It was such a simple and special Thanksgiving day.
We are so thankful just to be together, making new memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!