Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Family Glue

Have you decided on a Christmas craft project yet?  Or maybe you're way ahead of the game and you've been working on it for weeks already.  I'm impressed!  But whatever the case, I'd like to encourage you to do some crafting with your kids.  These really are the memory makers... that bonding time when you're giving your children your full attention, helping them with something that is really important to them.  And having fun together.  As you can see in this picture from last year, it is a real mess.  There's going to be piles of supplies in the corners of your kitchen and stuff drying on the windowsill.
 You might even be asked to bake some toxic-smelling stuff in your oven in between batches of cookies.
  Just do it!

 Here's where those little foil balls come in... Those little clay snowmen that Ruthie made turned out soooo cute.  She gave them to her grandparents as ornaments, and she was so proud of herself.  They ooohed and ahhhed over her creativity. The look on her face was priceless.

We've done our fair share of imperfect projects, too.  You know, you look up ideas on some flashy website with perfect photography and happy, perfect children.  And then when you actually DO it, well, let's just say that it doesn't always look like the photo.  But who cares??  Those projects weren't made by children, anyways.  Do you really think Martha Stewart lets kids handle the glitter?  I doubt it.  But my mom let me, and to this day she says that glitter is embedded into the dining room table varnish.  I really loved glitter, and I still do.  My kids will carry on the tradition.  And I'm gonna just deal with the mess, because the memories are worth it.  So dig out those old craft supplies and have some fun with your kids because it's all about the family glue.

2 comments:

  1. YES!!!! I needed that! I make myself do it usually, but I tend to end up grouchy during the process of the cookies or the crafts. What fun is that??? GOTTA GET A GRIP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I miss you guys! Too bad you can't
    come make the mess at my house. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!