Saturday, December 10, 2011

In Honor of Rudolph...

I cooked deer for supper.  I know, it's called venison.  But when you chop it all apart in your very own kitchen, it still seems like deer.


I mean, chicken is still called "chicken" right?  I've also cooked chickens that we raised and slaughtered.  But this deer thing is a whole new thing.  We've been eating chicken our whole lives, so we're used to it.  Home-raised chicken tastes the same, or better.  It tastes like chicken! But the deer is another story.


The problem is that I'm not a country girl by birth.  Although I live in Kentucky now, right in the middle of huntin' country, I was born in Pittsburgh.  My parents were born in Pittsburgh.  I never ate deer.

I've eaten lots of weird things, don't get me wrong.  I mean, Pittsburgh is the melting pot, you know.  I've eaten just about every conceivable meal made with cabbage.  I've eaten spaghetti with bones in it.  I've eaten pork floating in sour kraut with dumplings.  That's weird, right? But I've never eaten deer.

I lived in Florida when I was little.  I ate squid.  I ate shark that my dad caught, and manta ray from the gulf.  I liked it.  I grew up on Spam.  And canned corned beef.  What is that gel stuff, anyways?

I ate neck bones in southern Alabama.  And boiled peanuts.  Kindof gross, but edible.

But this deer, that's another story.

It tastes like a barn.

I know, it's terrible!  I'm a whimp!  I make an awful country woman.

I'm trying!  OK?  I eat it and try to keep a positive attitude.   My husband eats it.  He says it tastes like beef, but I think his taste buds must be dead.  Half of my kids eat it.  The other half would rather starve.
I'm with them.

As a disclaimer, I'd like to say that I've eaten venison at my friend's house and it tasted perfectly fine to me.  Maybe it has to do with the deer leg in my kitchen sink memory or something.  ???

We're gonna keep at it though.  I mean, it makes sense to eat these free animals walking all over our property rather than raise our own or buy meat at the store.  My taste buds just haven't gotten the message yet.  I probably need to learn how to cook it...  I'll keep working on it and let you know how it goes.

Sorry if you're disappointed.  Pray that I will one day be converted.

2 comments:

  1. From one venison convert to another potential:

    Make sure they let the deer hang for several days if it's not too warm. Also, my Amish friend said to soak the fresh meat in salt water before freezing - I guess she doesn't freeze, but cans it. For years, I did half venison/half beef on the ground meat. I've probably told you all this before, so just block me out if so...

    I'm loving our deer - I don't want a deer steak or hamburger, but everything else is a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we probably did it all wrong, clueless as we are. : ) It was too warm to hang for more than 24 hrs. so I left it in the fridge for a few days. It kindof gellified, if that's a word. That's a good idea about the salt water, then keep draining it off. Gonna try that if we can get another...I think those deer heard me complaining and moved to someone else's woods!! Don't blame them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!