Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tip Tuesday: Eating on the Cheap


Here's a pic of one of my recent grocery hauls.  I think we actually stopped into the store for lunch meat and buns.  But the "managers specials" got the best of me... 
Yep, that's ground turkey for $1.29 a package.  Now, as we were leaving, the checkout girl mentioned that she really didn't care for ground turkey too much.  She was surprised to hear that I didn't either.  But, that's just how the cookie crumbles when you're a crazed bargain hunter.  You eat what you find.  On sale.  Period.

I guess it's a lot like the whole idea of eating what's in season.  I ate so many fresh tomatoes this past summer that I don't think I'll miss them that much this winter.  Same with cucumbers.  And peppers.  And the same is true about this here turkey. 

So, what I usually do --every time I go into a grocery store, even if it's just for two things--- is make my rounds around the outside edges looking for mark-down items.  We always check out the fancy, organic-type section, too. Since that stuff has a shorter shelf life, it gets marked down more often.  Sometimes I get a major score (like the turkey) and other times I get nothin.'  But that's OK, since it's sortof like hunting and gathering.

The last time I went to Kroger, I was looking for a quick, cheap dinner to run home and cook after worship practice.  I ended up with an entire cart full of bread!  Lots of it was the fancy sourdough bread that runs close to four bucks a loaf.  Yeah, but you know I could never pay that!  I think most of it was more like 40 cents.  And the way I see it, I can't even bake bread that cheap.  So, now we're set for bread for a few more weeks.  And that's one way we save on groceries.

Gotta love those Kroger managers...

And my deep freezer.


On a side note... is it raining at your house?
 Gosh, it sure looks like Fall here today! Brrr.  : /




1 comment:

  1. It's not raining yet, but it certainly is windy and chilly. The kids all went and got blankets out of the linen closet last night for their beds. I'm with you on the bargain shopping. I went to the store yesterday for a few things, found that so many things were on super-sales that I walked out with a full cart.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love, love, loooove hearing from you!